Friday, August 21, 2009
As school gets back in session, encourage children to brush up on their creative writing skills. Mrs. P is offering a great opportunity to motivate kids to write and maybe even make a name for themselves while doing just that!
Mrsp.com is holding a story-writing contest for ages 4 to 13. The grand prize winners will have their stories ready by Mrs. P on her site, and original illustrations will even be created to bring the child's book to life! Visit: http://www.contest.mrsp.com/ for more details and the official rules. Entry dates are September 1 through October 15, so don't miss it.
Check out Mrs. P's site while you're there! It offers read-alongs, interactive books, games, and more: http://www.mrsp.com/
I recently asked my Twitter followers what kinds of products they wished they had seen more of in their neighborhood teacher stores this back-to-school season. Their answers were right on the money! Here are a few:
- materials that make students truly think--which helps them understand, not just memorize.
- no more "stuff" for the sake of providing kids with stuff--materials that really help kids build and use their imaginations.
- no more rote flash cards and worksheets! Step. It. Up.
- real professional development books, fewer "old school" fill-in-the-blank workbooks
- tools that are compatible with interactive white boards
Wanna follow me on Twitter, too? http://twitter.com/WendyZZZZZZZZZZ